8Track with guest DJs Pat Wilson and Rivers Cuomo of Weezer
Weezer crafted some of the finest power pop records of the past two and a half decades. Their latest effort — FUV's "New Dig" this week, OK Human — finds the band building on the hooks of frontman Rivers Cuomo with the support of a 38-piece orchestra, but for "8Track," we got to hear what other sounds are inspiring them.
Rivers and drummer Pat Wilson joined me for a “two music fans” version of "8Track," each picking four songs and bringing us some pretty diverse selections and segues. Listen in tonight at 9 p.m. to hear great stories from Weezer's early days and check out their playlist, which ranges from influential to autobiographical.
You can also listen in the player above, and in an encore broadcast this Friday night at 9 p.m. on "The Alternate Side."
- Randy Newman - "Louisiana 1927" (Rivers)
- Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" (Pat)
- John Prine - "Sweet Revenge" (Rivers)
- Dua Lipa - "Don't Start Now" (Pat)
- Stevie Wonder - "All in Love is Fair" (Rivers)
- Van Halen - "Sinner's Swing" (Pat)
- Loretta Lynn - "Fist City" (Rivers)
- DJ Shadow - "Changeling" (Pat)
[Recorded: 2/17/21; Engineer: Jim O'Hara; Producer: Sarah Wardrop; Theme music: Caroline Rose]