UKNY for April 4
Dry Cleaning (photo by Steve Gullick, PR)
The London quartet Dry Cleaning released two stellar EPs in 2019 that exemplified the band's wit, raucous chops, and unique sound: Sweet Princess and Boundary Road Snacks and Drinks. When they visited WFUV in early March 2020, on their way to SXSW and having just signed their label deal, litte did they (or we) realize that their FUV Live session would be the last band visit in Studio A before the lockdown – or that SXSW 2020 would be cancelled later that day.
Fast forward a year later, and we're all still dealing with the pandemic, but Dry Cleaning have just released their debut album, New Long Leg, which came out on 4AD this past Friday. It's as quirky, thrilling, and delightful as expected and on tonight's "UKNY" at 11 p.m., something else from this excellent record.
Also in the Easter night mix: the return of black midi, with a slightly altered line-up, plus Sunderland's Field Music, Peckham's FYI Chris, Perth-based Carla Geneve, Tokoy-born and London-based Anchorsong, Fijian-Australian rapper Jesswar, and Reykjavík's Laufey and more.
1. XTC, “Easter Theatre,” Apple Venus Vol. 1
2. (Paris, FR) Le Superhomard, “Springtime,” Meadow Lane Park
3. (Perth, AU) Carla Geneve, “Dog Eared,” Learn to Like It
4. Dry Cleaning, “Unsmart Lady,” New Long Leg
5. The Joy Formidable, “Into the Blue,” single
6. black midi, “Despair,” single
7. (Tokyo, JP-London, UK) Anchorsong, “New World,” single
8. beabadoobee, “Last Day on Earth,” Our Extended Play EP
9. (Paris, FR) L’Impératrice,” “Hémotome,” Tako Tsubo
10. (Reykjavík, IS) Laufey, “Best Friend,” single
11. (Meanjin, AU-FJ) Jesswar, “Medusa,” Tropixx EP
12. Field Music, “Not When You’re in Love,” Flat White Moon
13. FYI Chris feat. Simeon Jones, “Morley’s Preference,” Earth Scum
14. SAULT, “Little Boy,” Untitled (Rise)