Memories, Music and Cheer
Memorial Day on FUV: "Memories, Music and Cheer" with Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, Brandi Carlile and John Prine [photos by Neil Swanson and Gus Philippas]
As Memorial Day and the unofficial kick-off weekend to summer approaches, it all understandably feels very different than usual. So this year, WFUV invites you to join us for a Memorial Day soundtrack of "Memories, Music and Cheer" — honoring a day of remembrance and sharing memories of gathering together at Holiday Cheer for FUV.
On Monday, May 25, we'll look back on some good times and good songs from Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams and Brandi Carlile, and we'll also remember a good friend. WPLN in Nashville put together "A Radio Wake for John Prine" for its hometown hero, and we'll bring that tribute to the WFUV airwaves followed by John's own unforgettable Holiday Cheer performance.
Here's the full Memorial Day schedule, with all times EDT and approximate:
- 9 a.m. - Mavis Staples (Holiday Cheer 2019)
- 1 p.m. - Lucinda Williams (Holiday Cheer 2016)
- 5 p.m. - Brandi Carlile (Holiday Cheer 2015)
- 8 p.m. - "A Radio Wake for John Prine" (from WPLN Nashville)
- 9 p.m. - John Prine (Holiday Cheer 2018)