UKNY for September 26
Cocteau Twins (photo by Sheila Rock, courtesy of the Beggars Group, PR)
Cocteau Twins' luminous 1990 dreamscape, Heaven or Las Vegas, turned 30 years old on September 17 and on UKNY at 11 tonight, I'll dip into the band's sixth album, which was not only one of the best of that year, but the whole of the Nineties. And depending on your degree of Cocteaumania, it might be your pick of the group's best album ever.
Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is another masterpiece that celebrated an anniversary this month, its 35th, and we'll hear something from that as well, along with fresh releases from Manchester's Doves, London's TSHA, and the Dutch-Sudanese singer Gaidaa. Ride's Andy Bell gets ready to release his first solo album, The View from Halfway Down, and Dublin's Pillow Queens dropped their spirited and outspoken debut, In Waiting, on Friday.
And a track from this year's Mercury Prize winner — Michael Kiwanuka, for his gorgeous third album, KIWANUKA. “This [prize] is for art, for music, for albums," he said, accepting the award on Thursday. "It’s the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do, so to win a Mercury is a dream come true… It’s blown my mind.”
That's all tonight on UKNY, Saturdays 11pm-midnight on 90.7, streaming online. You can catch up to the show, and still listen to last week's Mercury Prize preview, in the Weekend Archives.
1. Michael Kiwanuka, “Living in Denial,” KIWANUKA
2. Doves, “Broken Eyes,” The Universal Want
3. Andy Bell, “Love Comes in Waves,” The View from Halfway Down
4. Tricky feat. Oh Land, “I’m in the Doorway,” Fall to Pieces
5. (Dublin, IE) Pillow Queens, “Holy Show,” In Waiting
6. (Eindhoven, NL) Gaidaa, “Morning Blue,” Overture
7. Cocteau Twins, “Pitch the Baby,” Heaven or Las Vegas
8. Cocteau Twins, “Heaven or Las Vegas,” Heaven or Las Vegas
9. C Duncan, “Pearly-DewDrops’ Drop,” C Duncan EP
10. TSHA, “Sister,” Flowers EP
11. Kate Bush, “The Big Sky,” Hounds of Love
12. Arab Strap, “The Turning of Our Bones,” single
13. Francis MacDonald, “September Weekend,” Music for String Quartet, Piano and Celeste