UKNY For September 1
Michael Kiwanuka (photo by Olivia Rose, PR)
Wait, how are we now officially in meteorological autumn? A good sign, aside from the new month, is the cool breeze of new releases from bands with tours and albums slated for the fall. On UKNY at 11 tonight, the delightful return of Bombay Bicycle Club, back after a five year hiatus, with not only a terrific single, but two gigs slated for New York on October 7 and 8 at Brooklyn Steel.
Michael Kiwanuka will also be at Brooklyn Steel on September 25 and I'll have another track from his forthcoming album, produced by Danger Mouse and Inflo, called Kiwanuka and released on October 25.
And more goodies via Girl Ray, Summer Flake, Elbow, Jeremy Warmsley, School of Language, Floating Points and the fantastic Sampa the Great, whom I wrote about for this week's "Three From Me."
A couple of 1989 tracks too, throwing back to this past week's Throwback Thursday.
Listen to UKNY on 90.7 WFUV from 11p.m.-midnight every Sunday night and catch up to shows from the last two weeks in the Weekend Archives.
1. Bombay Bicycle Club, “Eat Sleep Wake (Nothing But You),” single
2. (Melbourne, AU) Summer Flake, “In the Dark,” Seasons Change
3. Girl Ray, “Show Me More,” Girl
4. (Zambia/Melbourne, AU) Sampa the Great, “Freedom,” The Return
5. (Washington, D.C, US) Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On,” What’s Going On
6. Michael Kiwanuka, “You Ain’t the Problem,” Kiwanuka
7. Soul II Soul, “Keep On Movin’,” Club Classics Volume I
8. Elbow, “Empires,” Giants of All Sizes
9. School of Language, “Nobody Knows,” 45
10. Floating Points, “Last Bloom,” Crush
11. (Brisbane, AU) Vancouver Sleep Clinic, “Summer ’09,” Onwards to Zion
12. Jeremy Warmsley, “August,” A Year
13. New Order, “Love Less,” Technique