UKNY for October 20
Elbow (photo courtesy of Polydor, PR)
A disconsolate Britain, shredded by Brexit, was very much on Elbow's mind when the Manchester-bred quartet recorded their latest album, the somber and boldly-conceived Giants of All Sizes. Singer and lyricist Guy Garvey was also mourning his father, who had recently passed, and the result is a record that seethes with rage, but also offers a comforting bear hug to anyone struggling with despair. On UKNY at 11, a deeper track from this eloquent album, released earlier this month.
Grief is also the tide that swirls and eddies through Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' elegiac new album, Ghosteen, and we'll hear something from that release as well as songs from London-based Dutch-Zimbabwean musician Rina Mushonga, Smoke Fairies, Beabadoobee, Sailing Stones, Underworld, Jeremy Warmsley, and Isobel Campbell, who returns with a new album in January — her first in a decade.
That's UKNY, 11 p.m.-midnight Sundays, also available on demand in the Weekend Archives.
1. (Netherlands-Zimbabwe) Rina Mushonga, “Cassiopeia,” single
2. Our Girl, “I Wish It Was Sunday,” Stranger Today
3. Isobel Campbell, “Runnin’ Down a Dream (Tom Petty cover),” There Is No Other
4. Elbow, “My Trouble,” Giants of All Sizes
5. (Australia/UK/US) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Bright Horses,” Ghosteen
6. beabadoobee, “I Wish I Was Stephen Malkmus,” Space Cadet EP
7. (Paris, France) Caravan Palace, “Moonshine,” Chronologic
8. Smoke Fairies, “Disconnect,” Darkness Brings the Wonders Home
9. (Brest, France) Yann Tiersen feat. Gruff Rhys, “Monochrome,” Portrait
10. Jeremy Warmsley, “October,” A Year
11. Sailing Stones, “Don’t Tempt the Shadow,” Polymnia
12. Underworld, “Custard Speedtalk,” Drift Series 1