UKNY for March 28
The Anchoress (photo by Jodie Cartman, PR)
The Anchoress's Catherine Anne Davies takes an unflinching journey through multiple circles of grief and trauma in her powerful new album, The Art of Losing. The Welsh-born Davies originally planned to release the album in March 2020, but waited a year as the world slid into lockdown. The wait was wise; the impact of this album, which includes guests James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers and David Bowie's drummer Sterling Campbell, is right for this time as we all grapple, in some way, with profound loss. On "UKNY" at 11 tonight, a track from Davies' unflinching album.
We'll dig deeper into Jane Weaver's latest release, Flock, a psychedelic pop gem, and hear something from Teeth Agency, the duo of London's Jesse Hackett, a touring member of Gorillaz, and Chicago's Mariano Chavez.
Also in the mix, Brighton's Opus Kink, Melbourne's Telenova, Somerset's Sad Night Dynamite, and London's Lianne La Havas, who reminded us earlier this month of another one of her intuitive covers.
1. Dry Cleaning, “Strong Feelings,” New Long Leg
2. The Anchoress, “Show Your Face,” The Art of Losing
3. (Melbourne, AU) Telenova, “Bones,” single
4. Jane Weaver, “Stages of Phases,” Flock
5. (LA, CA-London, UK) serpentwithfeet feat. Sampha and Lil Silva, “Fellowship,” Deacon
6. Lianne La Havas, “I Say a Little Prayer (Bacharach-David cover),” Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019
7. (London, UK – Chicago, US) Teeth Agency, “Anon,” You Don’t Have to Live in Pain
8. Opus Kink, “Wild Bill,” single
9. Sad Night Dynamite, “Smoke Hole,” Sad Night Dynamite
10. Working Men’s Club, “John Cooper Clarke,” Working Men’s Club
11. (Sydney, AU) Logic1000, “Like My Way,” You’ve Got the Whole Night to Go EP
12. (Paris, FR) Catastrophe, “Maintenant ou jamais,” Fizzy
13. (Montréal, CA) Blue Hawaii, “No One Like You,” Tenderness