UKNY for August 11
Black Country, New Road (photo by Bjorn Lebowski, PR)
Black Country, New Road debuted their first single "Athen's France" back in January — a volcanic, beautifully abrasive, and cathartic slice of perfection. Late in July, the Cambridge-bred band released an equally surprising second single, "Sunglasses," a gloriously eccentric and witty expedition that stretches nearly nine minutes. On tonight's UKNY at 11, we'll hear the shortened (aka expletive-free) radio edit of the track from this unpredictable septet that's been praised as a UK and European festival standout this summer with their compelling live set.
Marika Hackman is back with her third album, Any Human Friend — a breakup album that doesn't wallow in sadness, but revels in a sensual agitation — and Elbow has an thundering, epic new single with an eighth album in their sights, Giants of All Sizes, released October 11.
We'll also hear from Zambian-Australian hip hop marvel Sampa the Great, Cork-born Londoner Biig Piig, more from Natasha Khan's forthcoming Bat for Lashes album, a tender track from Francis Lung, and much more.
Catch up to UKNY on demand too, available in the Weekend Archives after broadcast.
1. Biig Piig, “Sunny,” single
2. Francis Lung, “2 Real,” A Dream is U
3. Marika Hackman, “unconventional ride,” Any Human Friend
4. Elbow, “Dexter & Sinister,” Giants of All Sizes
5. The Babe Rainbow, “Something New,” Today
6. Black Country, New Road, “Sunglasses (radio edit),” single
7. Honey Lung, “Nothing,” single
8. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, “This is the Place,” This is the Place EP
9. Sampa the Great, “OMG,” The Return
10. Neba Solo, “Can 2002,” single
11. Bat for Lashes, “The Hunger,” Lost Girls
12. Loyle Carner and Sampha, “DeSoleil (Brilliant Corners),” Not Waving, But Drowning
13. Erland Cooper feat. Benge, “First of the Tide,” Skule Skerry