UKNY for August 1
Eliza Shaddad (photo by Jodie Canwell, PR)
With the release of her second album, The Woman You Want, Scottish-Sudanese songwriter Eliza Shaddad will hopefully receive more attention for her incisive lyricism. Recorded at home in Cornwall, this handsome album finds Shaddad, the daughter of an astrophysicist and a diplomat, bringing her life travels, jazz training, folk-rock ease, and even a grunged-out shrug to the fore. We'll hear a retro-'90s, kinda-Sheryl-Crow-ish gem from it on tonight's "UKNY" at 11 p.m.
Saint Etienne return too with a summertime song from a forthcoming album (and film) called I've Been Trying to Tell You, released September 10th. Both Arlo Parks and Celeste are on the 2021 Mercury Prize shortlist, so a couple of tracks from them (in Parks' case, an Unknown Mortal Orchestra remix), plus a new song from Rachel Chinouriri, nominated for the Ivor Novello Rising Star award last month. And delving deeper into the beautiful, wistful Miracle, the second album from Manchester's Francis Lung.
Also in the mix: Sydney-born, Berlin-based Logic1000, Brescia-born and Manchester-based Julia Bardo, and Derbyshire's Haiku Salut who release their new album, The Hill, The Light, The Ghost on August 27.
That's "UKNY," Sundays 11 p.m.-midnight, on 90.7, streaming online and found in the Weekend Archives after broadcast.
1. Eliza Shaddad, “Fine and Peachy (radio edit),” The Woman You Want
2. Dirty Nice, “Tulips,” Lobster
3. Saint Etienne, “Pond House,” I’ve Been Trying to Tell You
4. Arlo Parks, “Too Good (Unknown Mortal Orchestra remix),” single
5. Childhood, “Californian Light,” Universal High
6. The Beloved, “The Sun Rising,” Happiness
7. Celeste, “Beloved,” Not Your Muse
8. Katy J Pearson, “Miracle (Yard Act remix), Return (Remixes) EP
9. (Sydney, AU-Berlin, DE) Logic1000, “Safe in My Arms,” single
10. (Seoul, KR-Los Angeles, US) 박혜진 Park Hye Jin, “Let’s Sing Let’s Dance,” Before I Die
11. Rachel Chinouriri and Hak Baker, “November,” single
12. Francis Lung, “Say So,” Miracle
13. (Brescia, IT-Manchester, UK) Julia Bardo, “No Feeling,” Bauhaus, L’Appartamento
14. Haiku Salut, “I Dreamed I Was Awake For a Very Long Time,” The Hill, The Light, The Ghost
15. (New York, US) Lightning Bug, “Reprise,” A Color of the Sky