News Editor, WFUV News
WFUV’s News Editor assists the News & Public Affairs Department in all aspects of news gathering, production and podcasting. The job is essential in helping the department maintain its integrity and commitment to quality news programming.
Reports to News & Public Affairs Director and Assistant News and Public Affairs Director.
Location: Fordham University, Rose Hill Campus, Bronx
- Help execute a daily news podcast.
- Assist in assigning and editing stories on the news desk.
- Enterprise original content for news and other broadcasts.
- Vet audio and copy on the news desk.
- Conduct phone interviews and write news stories.
- Field reporting, as assigned.
- Create stories for the WFUV News website.
- Repurpose broadcast copy for the WFUV News webpage.
- Engage the WFUV audience on social media by posting stories, promoting broadcast content and sparking conversations.
- Help develop the news shift schedule.
- Help plan election night and other special news coverage.
- Provide active support for station fundraisers.
- Help maintain WFUV standards and uphold FCC station regulations.
- Carry out other news department responsibilities as needed.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Proficiency in writing radio news copy.
- Strong story editing ability.
- Solid leadership skills, including the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong news sense (ability to flag breaking news and prioritize story agenda).
- Solid computer skills.
- Proficiency in audio editing, ProTools preferred.
- Strong social media skills.
- Professional phone manner and excellent personal communications skills.
- Ability to take direction and work collaboratively as a team member.
- Ability to work under deadline.
- Familiarity with local issues, daily events and other New York area matters of interest to WFUV listeners.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through.
- Video editing proficiency preferred.
How to Apply
Qualified individuals should submit a letter, resume and references to rshannon(at)wfuv.org
No phone calls or applications by snail mail, please. The application deadline is March 25, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Fordham University is committed to excellence through diversity and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. Fordham is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories