Morning Brief: September 25
Tonight will be Derek Jeter’s last game at Yankee Stadium. Or will it? No, we’re not expecting Jeter to pull a Michael Jordan and come out of retirement (twice!)—the issue right now is the weather. Fears are drivng down ticket prices in what otherwise would be the most expensive regular season game in history. Only time will tell…
NEED TO KNOW
Britain moves toward airstrikes against Islamic State in Iraq [Washington Post].
After Boko Haram: Hillary Clinton Promises Education For 14 Million Girls [Time].
NY, NJ to Ramp up Security [WFUV via AP].
Excavated in Central Park: Traces of Anti-Redcoat Fortifications, Never Needed [NY Times].
The War over Air BnB Gets Personal [New York Mag].
The Yankees fell to Baltimore 9-5. They (hopefully!) play again at 7:05 tonight in the last home game of the year.
Yesterday’s Mets game was postponed due to rain. They play in Washington today at 1:05.
On the pitch, the Red Bulls drew C.D. Fas 0-0.
On the ice, the Islanders fell to Carolina 4-2 in pre-season play.
In football, the Giants have the Thursday night game. They look for the win in Washington tonight at 8:25.
Rainy day all over and continuing into the night. 61/58 [full forecast].
ON STAGE TONIGHT
· Boz Scaggs (with The Gil Parris Band) @ the Tarrytown Music Hall
· My Brightest Diamond (with Doe Paoro) @ the Bowery Ballroom
· “Roy Buchanan Birthday Tribute” featuring Jim Weider and G.E. Smith with Byron Isaacs, Brian Mitchell and Randy Ciarlante @ Iridium
· Pink Martini featuring China Forbes (with The Von Trapps) @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
· Bill Kirchen Band @ the Turning Point
· Asia @ the Mayo Performing Arts Center
· Wishbone Ash @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
· Caetano Veloso @ the Brooklyn Academy of Music BAM Howard Gilman Opera House, Peter Jay Sharp Building
· WFUV PRESENTS: Robert Plant And The Sensational Space Shifters (with The Last Internationale) @ the Capitol Theatre
· WFUV PRESENTS: Sean Rowe (with Rosco Bandana) @ Rockwood Music Hall
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1957, Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, is integrated by the use of United States Army troops.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.