Morning Brief: September 15th
Morning Brief: September 15th [Bo Insogno, flickr]
A state of emergency has been declared in California as wildfires ravage communities in the northern part of the state. Nearly 500 buildings and 150,000 acres of land have been scorched by the flames. As of 12:00AM EST over 23,000 people have evacuated their homes as firefighters try to contain the wild conflagrations.
Need To Know
California Wildfires Destroy Hundreds of Homes [BBC]
Police Search for Gunman After Professor Murdered [NY Daily News]
Pope's Visit Poses Security Threat [NY Times]
Aid Declines for Refugees in Europe [NPR]
Kentucky Clerk Won't Block Gay Marriage Licenses [Reuters]
Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays 4-1
Mets beat the Miami Marlins 4-3
Yankees and Mets face the same teams tonight at 7:10.
Clear and sunny during the day and then cooler at night, 84/62[Full Forecast]
On Stage Tonight
- Jackson Browne @ the Capitol Theatre
- Emmylou Harris And Rodney Crowell @ the Beacon Theatre
- St. Paul And The Broken Bones and Sean Rowe @ Webster Hall in the Grand Ballroom
- Langhorne Slim And The Law (with Twain) @ the Music Hall of Williamsburg
- Kim Simmonds And Savoy Brown @ the B.B. King Blues Club and Grill
- Blue Sky Riders featuring Kenny Loggins, Gary Burr and Georgia Middleman @ City Winery
- Diane Coffee (with Whitewash and Lemon Twigs) @ Baby’s All Right
- Os Mutantes @ Le Poisson Rouge
- WFUV PRESENTS: “On Your Radar”, hosted by John Platt, featuring Mason Porter, Lovers League and
- Mark Allen Berube @ Rockwood Music Hall
Today In History
The Mayflower departed from Plymouth England with over 100 pilgrams to the New World.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email Newsroom@WFUV.org or leave a comment below.