Morning Brief: September 11
Morning Brief: Septemeber 11 [Photo: wstera2, flickr]
Today marks the anniversary of one the darkest days of American history, the day the Twin Towers came down. Fourteen years ago, two passenger planes hijacked by terrorists crashed into the towers, with another crashing into the Pentagon in Washington and one crashing into an empty field in Pennsylvania. All told, almost 3,000 people died in what is one of the deadliest attacks on American Soil. It wasn't until 2006 that construction began to build something new at Ground Zero, and in November of last year, One World Trade Center Officially opened. Today, memorial events will be held at the September 11 Memorial Museum and across the city.
NEED TO KNOW
Floods Leave Three Dead, 23 Missing After Record Japan Rains [Bloomberg]
U.S. Will Accept 10,000 Syrians, Fewer Than Refugee Advocates Want [Lost Angeles Times]
Democrats Hand Victory to Obama on Iran Deal [New York Times]
VP Biden, Manhattan DA Unveil $79 Million in Grants to Test Backlog of 70k Rape Kits Across the Country [NY Daily News]
G Train Evaluated After Derailment in Downtown Brooklyn [CBS New York]
Cuomo Proposes $15 Statewide Minimum Wage at Event with VP Biden [DNAinfo]
The Mets beat the Braves 7-2.
The Yankees game against the Blue Jays was postponed.
The Mets play the Braves all weekend, today at 7:35, tomorrow at 7:10 and Sunday at 1:05.
The Yankees take on the Blue Jays all weekend, today at 7:05, tomorrow at 1:05 and Sunday at 4:05.
The Red Bulls host the Chicago Fire tonight at 7.
The U.S. Open continues through the weekend and wraps up on Sunday.
Mostly sunny during the day then mostly clear overnight, 84/69 [Full Forecast]
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• Shawn Colvin @ Daryl’s House
• John Gorka with Honor Finnegan @ the Towne Crier Café
• “Wesley Stace’s Cabinet Of Wonders” featuring Dar Williams, Wreckless Eric And Amy Rigby, Ryan Miller of Guster, Sally Timms of The Mekons, Ted Allen, Stacey D’Erasmo and Dave Hill @ City Winery
• Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe featuring Chuck Leavell with The London Souls @ the Capitol Theatre
• The Orb (with Michna) @ the Bowery Ballroom
• Kathryn Calder of New Pornographers (with Overlake) @ Mercury Lounge
• The Milk Carton Kids (with Kacy And Clayton) @ Town Hall
• The Manhattans featuring Gerald Alston (with The Silver Stars, The Soul Of New Jersey) @ the South Orange Performing Arts Center
• “Ladies Of The 60’s” featuring Shirley Alston Reeves formerly of The Shirelles, The Chiffons, The (Original) Orlons and La La Brooks formerly of The Crystals @ the Bergen Performing Arts Center
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 2001, both World Trade Center towers in New York City came down.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email Newsroom@WFUV.org or leave a comment below.