Morning Brief: July 31
Morning Brief: July 31 [Photo: different2une, flickr]
If something only happens "once in a blue moon," you'd better be prepared for whatever that may be today. July's saying good-bye with a blue moon tonight, the second full moon of the month. This only happens once every three years, so it won't happen again until 2018. Unfortunately, the moon won't actually look blue. The phrase was originally used strictly to describe a highly unlikely event. It was only in the 1940's that it came to mean the second full moon in one month.
NEED TO KNOW
Taliban Announces New Leader [NBC News]
Glare of Camera is Shifting Public's View of Police [New York Times]
Congress Takes Off for Summer, Setting Up an Autumn Showdown [Washington Post]
Severe Weather Unleashes Floods, Takes Out Trees, Leaves Many in Dark [CBS New York]
Legionnaires' Disease Bacteria Found on AC in Bronx Hospital [DNAinfo]
Report Reveals NYC Paid $138 Million in Settlements Related to Potholes [New York Times]
The Mets lost to the Padres 8-7.
The Yankees also lost 7-6 to the Rangers.
The Mets host the Nationals today, tomorrow and Sunday at 7, 7 and 8 respectively.
The Yankees play the White Sox all weekend at 7, 8 and then at 2.
New York City FC takes on the Montreal Impact tomorrow at 2.
Despite the rain there's no relief from the heat with clear skies for the day and night, 91/74 [Full Forecast]
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• U2 @ Madison Square Garden
• Marty Balin @ Iridium
• The Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson @ Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
• Jonatha Brooke @ the Rubin Museum of Art
• Veruca Salt (with Charly Bliss) @ Webster Hall The Grand Ballroom
• Cayucas (with Hibou) @ the Bowery Ballroom
• Blake Mills with Gabriel Kahane @ City Winery
• Bill Kirchen @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
• David Poe @ Rockwood Music Hall
• Los Amigos Invisibles @ Irving Plaza
• Earl Klugh @ the Blue Note (Tonight, tomorrow and Sunday)
• Steely Dan with Elvis Costello And The Imposters @ the PNC Bank Arts Center
• Albert Lee And Cindy Cashdollar @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
• Mike Peters of The Alarm @ Iridium
• Hal Ketchum @ the Highline Ballroom
• The Dean Ween Group @ the Stone Pony
• Duran Duran (with Penguin Prison) @ the Capitol Theatre (Tomorrow and Sunday)
• X featuring Exene Cervenka, John Doe and DJ Bonebrake plus Jesse Dayton (with Dead Rock West) @ City Winery (Tomorrow and
• Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (with Teen Men) @ the Bowery Ballroom (Tomorrow and Sunday)
• WFUV PRESENTS: Dr. John And The Nite Trippers and Amy Helm @ SummerStage, Central Park Rumsey
• The Turtles featuring Flo And Eddie, The Association, The Cowsills, The Grass Roots, The Buckinghams
• and Mark Lindsay formerly of Paul Revere And The Raiders @ the State Theatre
• Eleni Mandell (with Courtney Marie Andrews) @ Mercury Lounge
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1556, St. Ignatius of Loyola died.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email Newsroom@WFUV.org or leave a comment below.