Morning Brief: July 29
Morning Brief: July 29 [Photo: Vasilios Sfinarolakis, flickr]
If by some stroke of luck you haven't needed to go outside the past couple days, it's been hot. Very hot. And that's not changing for today. It's going to be even worse out today than it was yesterday. The city's urging residents to stay safe in the heat and find ways to keep cool. It's opened cooling centers for yesterday and today and extended public pool hours to 8 pm. But honestly, if you've got working AC, it's probably best to stay at home as much as you can until the heat wave passes.
NEED TO KNOW
Kurdish Leader Decries Turkey's 'Safe Zone' Plan for Syria [BBC]
Despite Economic Gains, Obama's Work in Africa Remains Unfinished [Washington Post]
Bipartisan Push Builds to Relax Sentencing Laws [New York Times]
Prison Escape Helper Tells of Sex, Favors and Deception [NBC News]
Commissioner Bratton Outlines Plan for Handling Homeless Crisis [CBS New York]
Connector Between Randalls Island and the Bronx to Open this Summer [New York Times]
The Mets beat the Padres 4-0.
The Yankees trounced the Rangers a whopping 21-5.
The Mets host the Padres at 7.
The Yankees take on the Rangers at 8.
Partly cloudy for the day and night, 92/77 [Full Forecast]
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick @ the Paramount
• Boz Scaggs @ the Mayo Performing Arts Center
• The Mavericks and Orkesta Mendoza @ “Lincoln Center Out of Doors” Damrosch Park
• Toad The Wet Sprocket with Pat McGee @ Irving Plaza
• The English Beat @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
• The Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson @ the PNC Bank Arts Center
• The Watkins Family Hour featuring Sean Watkins and Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek, Fiona Apple, Don
• Heffington, Sebastian Steinberg plus Mikaela Davis and Ashley Monroe @ City Winery
• Earl Klugh @ the Blue Note
• Forro In The Dark @ Joe’s Pub
• Dr. Klaw @ the Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
• Adam Gussow And The Blues Doctors featuring Robert Ross @ the Turning Point
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1958, NASA was created.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email Newsroom@WFUV.org or leave a comment below.