With festival season upon us, it's time for the annual WFUV Guide to Summer Music. We've compiled our picks for some of the best outdoor festivals throughout the New York area, and a few if you're up for a longer road trip. Wherever you're headed, keep your fingers crossed for good weather and have a blast this "Summer of FUV."
Where: Rumsey Playfield in Central Park
When: June 3-August 24
- John Butler Trio* (June 17, 6:30pm)
- Counting Crows and Toad the Wet Sprocket* (June 30, 6pm)
- Beck* - July 1, 7pm
- Andrew Bird and Luke Temple (July 8, 7pm)
- Bonobo, Cibo Matto, Odesza (July 13, 6pm)
- New Songs of Justice: An Evening Honoring Pete Seeger (July 21, 6pm)
- Conor Oberst and Dawes* (July 29, 7pm)
- Ingrid Michaelson* (July 30, 6pm)
- Dr. John and Hurray for the Riff Raff (August 2, 3pm)
- Old Crow Medicine Show* (August 4, 6pm)
- Matt Nathanson and Gavin Degraw* (August 13, 6pm)
Tickets: Concerts are free, unless otherwise noted. Tickets for the benefit concerts (*) can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com.
FYI: In addition to the concerts in Central Park, the City Parks Foundations presents concerts in 17 parks throughout the five boroughs under the SummerStage umbrella.
Where: Prospect Park Bandshell
When: June 4-August 9; Doors open an hour before show starts
- Janelle Monae (June 4, 8pm)
Jack Johnson with Bahamas* (June 10, 7pm):
Listen in the FUV Vault. (FUV's Celebrate Brooklyn coverage is supported by Squarespace).
The National with Phosphorescent* (June 17, 7pm):
Listen in the FUV Vault. (FUV's Celebrate Brooklyn coverage is supported by Squarespace).
- The National with Lord Huron* (June 18, 7pm)
- The National with MS MR* (June 19, 7pm)
- Amos Lee with Lake Street Dive (June 20, 7:30pm)
- Dum Dum Girls with Hospitality and TEEN (June 21, 7pm)
- Warpaint with Yellowbirds (June 26, 7:30pm)
- Shovels & Rope with Valerie June and Shakey Graves (June 27, 7pm)
- Bebel Gilberto with Vinicius Cantuaria and Netsayi (July 18, 7pm)
- Nickel Creek (July 24, 7:30pm)
- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds with Devendra Banhart and Nicole Atkins* (July 26, 7pm)
- Altan and Maura O'Connell (August 7, 7pm)
St. Vincent with San Fermin (August 9, 7:30pm)
Hear St. Vincent's performance live on FUV at 9pm. (FUV's Celebrate Brooklyn coverage is supported by Squarespace).
Tickets: All of the concerts are free with a suggested donation of $3, except for the benefit concerts* (www.ticketmaster.com)
FYI: Prospect Park is easily accessible via the F, 2, 3, B and Q subway lines. On street parking can be difficult. [specific directions]
GOVERNORS BALL MUSIC FESTIVAL
Where: Randall's Island, NYC
When: June 6-8
- Friday: Damian Marley, Damon Albarn, Janelle Monae, Jason Isbell, Jenny Lewis, La Roux, Neko Case, Outkast, Phoenix, TV on the Radio, Washed Out
- Saturday: Broken Bells, Disclosure, Fitz and the Tantrums, Jack White, Lucius, Sleigh Bells, Spoon, The Naked & Famous
- Sunday: AlunaGeorge, Foster The People, Frank Turner, Interpol, James Blake, The Head and the Heart, The Kills, Vampire Weekend, Wild Belle
Tickets and information: www.GovernorsBallMusicFestival.com
BONNAROO MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL
Where: Manchester, Tennessee
When: June 12-15
- Thursday: Poliça, Real Estate, J. Roddy Walston & The Business, Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, Robert DeLong
- Friday: Kanye West, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Janelle Monae, CHVRCHES, Sam Smith
- Saturday: Jack White, The Flaming Lips, Lionel Richie, Damon Albarn, Disclosure, Tedeschi Trucks Band, First Aid Kit, Phosphorescent
- Sunday: Elton John, The Avett Brothers, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Arctic Monkeys, Broken Bells, Fitz & the Tantrums, Frank Ocean, Okkervil River
Tickets and information: www.bonnaroo.com
FYI: Rita Houston and Alisa Ali bring you The Whole Wide World live from Bonnaroo, Friday, June 13 at 7pm on FUV.
BIG BACKYARD BBQ & MUSIC FESTIVAL
Where: New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY
When: June 14-15
- Saturday: The Lone Bellow, The Defibulators, Caravan of Thieves
- Sunday: Roosevelt Dime, Cricket Tell the Weather, Miss Tess and the Talk Backs
Tickets and Information: www.nybg.org/exhibitions/2014/festivals/big-backyard-bbq/big-backyard-bbq-music.php
FYI: Food and drink samplings from New York-based specialty purveyors will be available. Enjoy all performances with open lawn seating; be sure to bring a blanket to stretch out on Daffodil Hill.
MAD SQ MUSIC: OVAL LAWN SERIES
Where: Madison Square Park, 23rd St. & Madison Ave.
When: Wednesday evenings, June 18 through August 6
- Nicole Atkins (June 18, 7pm)
- The SteelDrivers and Cricket Tell The Weather (July 2, 6pm)
- John Fullbright (July 9, 7pm)
- Jon Cleary (July 23, 7pm)
- Forro in the Dark and Debo Band (July 30, 6pm)
- Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds (August 6, 7pm)
Tickets: All of the concerts are free. Information: www.madisonsquarepark.org
FYI: Bring a blanket or chair (or even kids) to enjoy the music on the lawn.
Where: Croton Point Park in Croton-on-Hudson, NY
When: June 21-22
Highlights: (* = live on FUV)
Saturday: The Mavericks*, Richard Thompson*, Rufus Wainwright*, Dar Williams*, Nicole Atkins, Laura Cantrell, Dan Bern, Garland Jeffreys, Jake Shimabukuro, Buckwheat Zydeco, Tom Chapin, Tom Paxton, Guy Davis, John Fullbright
- Sunday: Lucinda Williams*, Puss n Boots* (featuring Norah Jones, Sasha Dobson & Catherine Popper), moe. acoustic, Martin Sexton*, David Bromberg Big Band*, Josh Ritter*, Bettye LaVette, Lake Street Dive*, Tom Paxton, Toshi Reagon, Bernice Johnson Reagon, Houndmouth, Laurie Berkner
Tickets and information: www.ClearwaterFestival.org
FYI: This year will honor Pete and Toshi Seeger who co-founded the festival with many tributes both on and off the stages. Clearwater has many family-oriented activities. Kids under 12 get in free. Festival goers can sign up for two-hour sails on the sloop Clearwater or the schooner Mystic Whaler. For the first time ever, FUV will broadcasted live from Clearwater and across both days of the festival. Listen in the FUV Vault. (FUV's Clearwater Festival coverage is supported by Fairway Market).
MIDSUMMER NIGHT SWING
Where: Damrosch Park (Lincoln Center)
When: June 24-July 12
- Cecile McLorin Salvant (June 24)
- The Loser's Lounge - Dancing Queens: The Music of ABBA and more (June 26)
- The Hot Sardines (June 27)
- Roomful of Blues & Friends play the Music of Doc Pomus (July 2)
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks: Boardwalk Empire (July 8)
Tickets and information: www.MidsummerNightSwing.org (Tickets required for access to the dance floor)
FYI: Dance lessons precede the live music at 6:30. If you don't want to dance, you can still enjoy the music on the plaza.
CARAMOOR SUMMER MUSIC FESTIVAL
Where: Caramoor Center for Music & the Arts, Katonah, NY
- American Roots Music Festival (June 28): Rosanne Cash, The Lone Bellow, Bruce Molsky, Tony Trischka & Michael Daves, Kim & Reggie Harris, Joe Crookston & the Bluebird Jubilee, Spuyten Duyvil, Cricket Tell the Weather, Miss Tess & the Talkbacks
- The David Grisman Sextet (July 25)
FYI: Tickets are available for the full American Roots Music Festival or just the afternoon. Bring a picnic, chair or blanket for the afternoon performances on the lawn. Caramoor is family-friendly and has free parking.
FOR THE SAKE OF A SONG: A TRIBUTE TO TOWNES VAN ZANDT
Where: One New York Plaza and Grace Plaza
When: July 9-31, 12:30pm
- David Berkeley (July 9, NYP)
- Amber Rubarth (July 10, GP)
- The Sea The Sea (July 17, GP)
- Keith Everett & The Orange Morris (July 23, NYP)
- Jason Myles Goss (July 24, GP)
- Milton (July 31, GP)
Tickets: Shows are free.
FYI: Produced by NewSong Music and presented by Arts Brookfield and Red Jacket Orchards, this series of lunchtime concerts is dedicated to the memory of the influential songwriter Townes Van Zandt, who would have turned 70 this year. Concerts are presented rain or shine at One New York Plaza in Lower Manhattan and at Grace Plaza in midtown.
THE HUDSON PROJECT
Where: Winston Farm, Saugerties, New York
When: July 11-13
- Modest Mouse
- The Flaming Lips
- Moby (DJ set)
- Matt & Kim
- The New Deal
- Dr. Dog
Tickets and information: www.hudsonmusicproject.com
FYI: This is the inaugural festival, with more than 85 performers from a range of genres. It offers both traditional GA and VIP ticketing and camping options (from top level luxury accommodations, to pre-set tents with bedding to DIY choices for the more adventurous). The festival offers daily round trip shuttles from NYC and daily train shuttles from the Rhinecliff and Poughkeepsie train stations.
LOWDOWN HUDSON BLUES FESTIVAL
Where: Brookfield Place, Waterfront Plaza
When: July 16 & 17, 6-10pm
- Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (July 16)
- The Robert Cray Band and John Hiatt & the Combo (July 17)
Tickets: Concerts are free.
FYI: Enjoy the live music in seats next to the harbor or from a table at one of the restaurants on the plaza.
GREAT SOUTH BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL
Where: Shorefront Park, Patchogue, NY
When: July 18-20
- Friday: Taking Back Sunday, Circa Survive
- Saturday: moe., James Maddock, Last Hombres, Butcher’s Blind
- Sunday: B.B. King, Anders Osborne, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Commander Cody, Kerry Kearney
Tickets and information: www. greatsouthbaymusicfestival.com
FYI: The festival prides itself on presenting both national acts and local emerging artists on four stages, plus a Kidzone. Bring a blanket or lawn chair, unless you have VIP tickets. The "Queen of Kinder-rock", Laurie Berkner, will be doing a special pre-fest concert on Sunday morning. (Ticket is good for the full day at the fest.)
LINCOLN CENTER OUT OF DOORS
Where: Damrosch Park Bandshell (DPB) or Hearst Plaza (HP) on the Lincoln Center campus
When: July 20-August 10
- Pete Seeger Tribute featuring David Amram, Tom Chapin, Guy Davis, Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion, Toshi Teagon, Dar Williams & more (July 20, 4pm, DP)
- Deep Roots of Rock and Roll featuring Toshi Reagon, Carl Hancock-Rux, Corey Glover & more (July 26, 2pm, HP)
- José González and yMusic (July 31, 7:30pm, DP)
- Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell (Aug. 6, 7:30pm, DP)
- Cassandra Wilson and The Campbell Brothers (August 8, 7:30pm, DP)
- Old 97’s and The Devil Makes Three (August 9, 1:30pm, HP)
- Rosanne Cash, The Lone Bellow and Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale (August 9, 6pm, DP)
- Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires and St. Paul & the Broken Bones (August 10, 5pm, DP)
Tickets: The concerts are free.
NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL
Where: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI
When: July 25-27
Highlights: (* = live on FUV)
- Friday: Ryan Adams*, Band of Horses, Jimmy Cliff, Jenny Lewis, Robert Hunter, Lake Street Dive
- Saturday: Jack White, Nickel Creek, Deer Tick, Puss n Boots, Lucius, Shovels & Rope, Milk Carton Kids
- Sunday: Mavis Staples, Jeff Tweedy, Conor Oberst, Dawes, Hozier, Trampled by Turtles, Rodrigo y Gabriela
Tickets: All three days are sold out!
FYI: FUV will be back at Newport, so if you’re at the festival, stop by our booth, say hi, and pick up some swag. If you're not headed to Newport, you can hear Ryan Adams live on FUV on Friday, July 25th at 6pm, and archived sets from Newport's main Fort Stage throughout the weekend in the FUV Vault.
GATHERING OF THE VIBES
Where: Seaside Park, Bridgeport, CT
When: July 31-August 3
- John Fogerty
- Widespread Panic
- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes
- Ziggy Marley
- Rodgrigo y Gabriela
- Dark Star Orchestra
- Rusted Root
- Umphrey’s McGee
Tickets and information: www.GatheringOfTheVibes.com
FYI: Inspired by the spirit of the Grateful Dead, GOTV is now in its 18th year. The Weekend Camping Pass includes access to all the music, stages, beach, late night festivities, and the campgrounds. Single day and single day VIP tickets also available.
FALCON RIDGE FOLK FESTIVAL
Where: Dodds Farm, just off Route 22 north of Hillsdale, New York
When: August 1-3
- The Duhks
- Aoife O’Donovan
- Tom Paxton
- John Gorka
- The Grand Slambovians
- Spuyten Duyvil
- Tracy Grammer
- Cheryl Wheeler
Tickets and information: www.FalconRidgeFolk.com
FYI: The Friday afternoon Emerging Artists Showcase is a chance to scout new talent, and the dance tent is a popular destination. Early bird camping is available starting Wednesday afternoon for ticket holders with prepaid camping tickets. Children ages 12 and under are free.
AUSTIN CITY LIMITS MUSIC FESTIVAL
Where: Zilker Park; Austin, Texas
When: October 3-5 and 10-12 (in case you want to extend your Summer for a couple of weeks)
Highlights: Beck, Eminem, Pearl Jam, Outkast, The Replacements, Belle & Sebastian, Broken Bells, Chromeo, CHVRCHES, Hozier, J. Roddy Walston & The Business, Jagwar Ma, Jenny Lewis, Jimmy Cliff, KONGOS, Lana Del Rey, Lorde (second weekend only), Spoon, St. Vincent, The Avett Brothers, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, tUnE-yArDs
Tickets and Information: www.ACLFestival.com