Every year the contingent of FUV-ers who go to Newport gets bigger, as the stories spread of what a gosh-darn nice time it is. This year Julianne Welby and Corny O'Connell did some fine representin' from the stage, while the rest of us mixed and mingled from the tent base camp.
Saturday, August 4: Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Grace Potter, North Mississippi Allstars, Allman Brothers...
Fan Fan | WFUV Fans | Sweet View | Dirty Dozen Brass Band | Julianne Welby | Some shade | Grace Potter & the Nocturnals | Reserved for who? | Griping | North Mississippi Allstars | North Mississippi Allstars | WFUV Fans | What else do you need? | Narc alert | Allman Brothers | Gregg Allman | On the Big Screen | Sundown |
Sunday, August 5: Alejandro Escovedo, Amos Lee, Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss...
Carolina Chocolate Drops | Corny O'Connell | Alejandro Escovedo | Alejandro and Julianne | Is that you? | Amos Lee | Fort Adams | Gimme a Boost | Emmylou Harris | Emmylou Harris | Emmylou Harris | Sharing the FUV LUV | Free stuff | Nice view | Hungry? | Alejandro Escovedo | Alejandro fans | Alison Krauss | Bye, Alison |
Corny O'Connell's favorite moments:
- Alejandro Escovedo's comeback to the drunk woman loudly interrupting him with a request for "La Bamba" - "You've got the wrong Mexican.
- Grace Potter... Amos Lee... Who knew a folk festival would have sex appeal?
- Assembly of Dust proved they're more than just a jam band, although they certainly got the tie-dyers into a frenzy.
- Thumbs down on the new reserved orchestra seating. Most of the time it was just wasted, empty space.
- Thumbs up on the new raw bar/wine bar out on the pier. It doesn't get any better than lobster salad, chardonnay and Emmylou Harris on a sunny summer day.
- And big thumbs up on getting to meet WFUV listeners face to face!
Janeen Shaitelman's highlights:
- Starting the festival on Saturday morning with the sounds of the Dirty Dozen Brass band.
- Infiltrating the press tent for real food and internet service
- Falling in love with the John Butler trio
- Discovering the Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Perfect weather
- A brand-spankin' new WFUV tent and great listeners and members that came by to say hi!
- A very jam-bandy Day One, capped off by none other than the Allmann Brothers Band! I think I was in festival heaven.
- Bad reserved seating section.. It was empty and unused most of the day, leaving amazing musicians playing to an empty space.. So sad.
- Where was the 48 Hour Chicken Guy???!!
For more info on the Newport Folk Festival in general, visit newportfolkfest.net.
Thanks to Corny O'Connell and Promotions Director Janeen Shaitelman for the great pics!