The winner of the 2013 Barclaycard Mercury Prize, perhaps the most prestigious (and at times controversial) award given to British and Irish artists, will be announced this Wednesday, October 30, in London. Tonight on UKNY at 11, we'll explore the 12 shortlisted albums, which includes releases from David Bowie, Laura Mvula, Rudimental, Jon Hopkins and Laura Marling.
FUV thrives on music discovery — and it's the mission of Saturday's all-music lineup of Mixed Bag, Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight"®, The Bottomless Pit with Marshall Crenshaw and UKNY. Please support the Saturday shows you follow during FUV's fall membership drive — any amount makes you a member (and a savvy listener too).
And please join me on UKNY, Saturday nights at 11p.m. EDT following Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight"® and Marshall Crenshaw's "The Bottomless Pit" on 90.7 WFUV, also streaming online.
Won't be home tonight? You can find UKNY in the FUV archives up to two weeks after broadcast.
1. David Bowie, "Dancing Out in Space," The Next Day
2. Foals, "Out of the Woods," Holy Fire
3. Savages, "City's Full," Silence Yourself
4. Rudimental featuring MNEK and Sinead Harnett, "Baby," Home
5. Disclosure with London Grammar, "Help Me Lose My Mind," Settle
6. James Blake, "Life Round Here," Overgrown
7. Laura Mvula, "Father, Father," Sing To The Moon
8. Jon Hopkins, "Abandon Window," Immunity
9. Villagers, "Earthly Pleasures," Awayland
10. Jake Bugg, "Note To Self," Jake Bugg
11. Arctic Monkeys, "No. 1 Party Anthem," AM
12. Laura Marling, "Pray For Me," Once I Was An Eagle
13. Alt-J, "Ms," An Awesome Wave